Alpha School of English is always looking for new homestay families who are interested in welcoming foreign guests into their homes. If you have a spare room we would like to hear from you.
Students & guests usually require homestay accommodation for 2-4 weeks although it could be longer. Some ask to be placed with a family with children and/or pets, non-smokers etc. We ask you to fill in a detailed application form so that we can try to find the best match between student needs and homestay family preferences.
Benefits of becoming a Homestay Host Family:
- The opportunity to meet people from all over the world
- Learning about different cultures and traditions
- Introducing visitors to Malta’s rich history and traditions
- Prompt payment
All guest bedrooms should have:
- a table or desk large enough for studying / working on a laptop, plus a chair
- a wardrobe
- a chest of drawers
- good lighting, ideally with good, natural light
- a mirror
- a comfortable bed, bedside table & lamp
- a fan in summer / heater in winter
- easy access to a private or shared bathroom
If your application is successful you will be required to sign a contract with us and provide:
- A police conduct certificate
- A valid host family licence issued by the MTA (our Homestay Department will help you with this)
- Photos of your home (inside & outside), the guest room(s) and a photo of your family
- A copy of any family rules that apply in your home
What do our clients expect from their homestay experience?
- The most important thing is a welcoming home. Your guests have chosen to stay with a family rather than in a hotel or an apartment because they want to experience living in a Maltese home.
- An explanation of how to use things in the house and your family rules
- To be brought to Alpha School or shown the way on the first day of their English course
- The opportunity to learn about Maltese culture and history, also information about local shops, restaurants, bus routes etc.
- Facilities to do their washing and ironing. Homestay hosts are also expected to do guest laundry once a week.
- Daily breakfast
- A packed lunch and/or evening meal depending on the type of booking
- Sheets (changed once a week)
- Bathroom towels (changed twice a week)
- A friendly environment where they feel comfortable to read a book or watch TV in the living room
- The opportunity to receive (but not make) telephone calls within reasonable hours.
- An English-speaking environment
What can you expect from your guests?
- To be considerate and remember that they are staying in a home, not a hotel
- To respect your house rules
- To discuss with you whether they will have a key to your home or not
- To be quiet and considerate if they return home late at night when household members might be asleep
- To be careful about security and to make sure they lock doors and windows whenever they go out
- To turn off lights / heating / air-conditioning etc. when they go out
- To be considerate when sharing a bathroom and to clean up after they use it
- To keep their bedroom tidy
- To pay hosts directly for an extras that they have arranged
- To pay hosts directly for any damages they cause
- To keep you informed about their plans – eg to let you know if they will be home late or if they will be out for dinner
If you are interested in being a homestay host family please apply now for further details, rates and a home visit.
Search all English courses
LIMITED OFFER - 20% off our most popular general English course if you pay for your course in full. Offer expires soon!
Fun Alpha School Facts
- Over 90% of our regular teaching staff are British, Australian or South African
- We teach students from over 40 different countries every year
- We've been offering English + Sports courses for 25 years
- We pioneered English courses for Families in Malta and cater for children from the age of 2
- 99% of our students would recommend Alpha School to a friend
- We opened our Gozo Annexe in 2014
- We offered our first First Aid course in 2014
- We offer over 20 different sports
- Over 100 different activities
- 16 different types of accommodation
- We have a multi-national office team with full and part-time staff and interns from Malta, the UK, Poland, France & Germany
- Alpha School used to be called the St. Paul's Bay English Language Centre
- We were the first school to open in the north of Malta - way back in 1991
- We offer in-house training for our teaching staff with a teacher trainer from the UK who visits Malta twice a year
- We have a reputation for being the friendliest school in Malta!
- We update our website every single day!